Sunday, May 2, 2010

May Day

I'd be lying if I said this was an overly eventful week...not that that's a bad thing.  We went about our week pretty much in our normal routine which includes work, daycare, dinners, etc.  Thankfully we did take advantage of our free time on the weekend and livened things up a bit.  On Saturday we met up with friends of ours at the park.  They have a 1 year old daughter Lucy and we had wanted to get Sawyer and her together to play.  While they played near each other (sometimes), I wouldn't really say they played with each other.  Which was fine.  Sawyer loves to play with the sand/dirt so she spent most of her time doing that.  Last year she loved to go in the kiddie swings, but this year when we put her in she is TERRIFIED.  Seriously, it's amazing the face she makes.  On the flip side, she loves to swing in the big kid swing sitting with Mark or I.  Every time we go back and forth she says "Weeeee". Kind of weird, but we went with it.    After the park, I got ready to go to a bachelorette party for my friend Taffi, which was lots of fun. The ladies met up at a bar and did this thing called "bottles and brushes" where an artist comes and teaches you how to paint. Someone took the canvases for us, so I haven't been able to show mine to Mark yet, but i'll post a picture for everyone so you know how amazing unartistic I am. After that we headed to a Roller Derby - yes, the kind where women dress up in crazy outfits and roller skate around in circles trying to get points. I didn't know the rules before going, but I'm pretty sure I could talk someone through a roller derby match in the future if needed...and I can go ahead and check that off the list of things I've never done before. Thank you Taffi!
While I was out Sawyer and Mark hung out. I'm told she was a good little girl for her daddy and even went to bed early. Should have known she'd wake up with a lot of spunk in her - girl has been talking up a storm since she woke up, and just gone nonstop all day. My ears are tired today.  At one point she climbed up on the kitchen chair where my computer was and started to compute. When she caught me taking her picture, she stuck her tongue out at me - seemed like something Aunt Katie used to do when she was little, god help us.

Despite that we made it through the day with our motor mouth, who is sleeping like a log right now.  My favorite part of the day is fast becoming our bedtime ritual. Today Sawyer wanted me to sing a few songs to her, and I think she likes them because she knows most of the words.  She's definitely not perfect, but she's got most of it down pat, so we sang Twinkle Twinkle, Row Row Your Boat, and Itsy Bitsy Spider.  She cuddles up with me and sings along.  We finished with our standard You Are My Sunshine so she knows it's really bedtime.  Few more pictures - piglet eating some angel food cake, strawberries, and cream.  We were supposed to be sharing but Sawyer would fill her mouth quickly, and then grab a bunch in her hand, and try to prevent me from taking any of the plate.  Sharing is not our best skill, especially with food.  Plus she knows she's playing with you now, so she'll offer you some, and then quickly squirrel it away in that endless pit of a mouth.  Anyway - going to be a bit of a crazy week requiring some balancing for Mark and I, but already looking forward to NEXT weekend.  Mark is headed off for marathon #10 in Colorado, and Al & Kathy are coming to town to get Caroline so we'll have some visitors.


No comments: