Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Weekend


This weekend started off with a bang - had some crazy crazy storms here in Chicago.  I worked from home so only really had to worry about picking up Sawyer.  Mark left work early to avoid having to commute in middle of 60-70 mile an hour winds and we both went to pick our girl up early.  Spent much of the night just watching the rain because it kept knocking out our directv. 

We had a really nice weekend despite a crazy start.  In the spirit of Father's Day I wanted to make sure Mark had a relaxing weekend so Saturday morning i took Sawyer to the grocery store with me.  Typically I try to keep her at home because (1) she likes to grab things and throw them in the cart and (2) she has to eat the whole time she's in the cart.  I had to hide the raspberries on her because she could have finished them before we got to checkout.  So instead I just had to listen to "Raspberries Mom, Raspberries" being said over and over and over again...atleast until I figured out the next thing to distract her.
The big event on Saturday for sure though was that Mark went SKYDIVING.  Yes, you read that right.  You may remember that this was Mark's birthday present last fall and because of a random snowy October it got postponed.  He decided to schedule it this Saturday and so not long after we returned from the store, he headed out about 60 miles west of the city for a jump from 14,000 feet.  I know - crazy.  I couldn't do it, but he's into it.  My understanding is it was awesome, and he was only scared for about 10 seconds just before jumping out of the plane.  It was a clear sunny day so he said he could see downtown which is pretty cool.  He didn't buy any pictures or video, but they did give him a card.  If you are saying to yourself, "I jumped out of a plane and all they gave me was this stupid card", we are similar people.  Seemed odd to me.

Soy-diggity and I pretty much just hung out while Mark was gone.  I pretty much just try to think of every possible activity known to man to keep her occupied.  Because she knows where the M&M's are kept, I had to distract her with play doh instead (kept in same cupboard).  In case you haven't noticed, she is VERY serious about her play doh.

Atleast until you tell her to say cheese...

So with the big event done on Saturday, Sunday was set up to be pretty low key.  We shared some blueberry pancakes together while rocking out to some tunes which was the perfect start to Mark's Father's Day and then ventured out for a run/walk.  We weren't sure whether it would be more run or walk since my exercise routine has been nonexistent since breaking my foot and being banned for six months.  I think I've taken two runs since I was cleared to work out which is just downright sad.  Anyway didn't do too terrible considering i'm also now 4 months pregnant.  We ended up spending quite a bit of time out by the lake, and every time we do it, all I can think is that I can't ever leave the city for the suburbs.  I love being so close to the lake...hard decisions certainly lie ahead.  Anyway we hung out by the fountain at McCormick Place, watched boats on the rocks, and just walked around alot.  Sawyer entertained us quite a bit because she would say "Biiig Boat" over and over but in a weird voice whether it was a huge yacht or jet ski. Needless to say, the entire family ended up napping when we got home - love those afternoons.

Enjoyable Father's Day weekend for us...hope you had the same.

No comments: