Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Snow Storm Blues

We're getting pretty sick of the snow and cold over here at our house.  It's getting tough to find things to keep these girls busy and happy.  The last two days have been the first break with temps over 30 degrees. Some of the snow is starting to melt and we are in heavy countdown to spring break around here. Other than that we've just had a lot of every day life going on.  Valentine's Day was a bit of excitement, primarily because Sawyer loved making cards for her friends at school, and for about a week would make them for us and bring them home from school.  She got a bag of goodies, and her and Isla got some Hello Kitty chocolate from Mark and I that seemed to make their day.  Mark and I didn't do anything special on Valentine's day, but we did get out the day after for dinner and a movie.  We hit up an Italian place a few towns over and had lots of good food, all while dreaming up a trip to Italy...which we hope comes sooner rather than later.

As for the kids, Margot continues to grow daily.  I mean seriously - she wakes up in the morning or from a nap and I swear she looks older.  She talks a bit more now these days, and babbles dada and mama.  I'm not sure if either is really directed to Mark or I.  She and I are headed to Buffalo this weekend for her Aunt's baby shower and I'm very curious to see how she is on her first flight.  With Sawyer and Isla I flew with them at about 8 weeks, but that hasn't happened with Marge.  I wonder if she will just sit there and stare & smile at everyone, or given her newfound love of crawling/walking if she'll try to wander the plane and spend a lot of time letting me know how unhappy she is at being stuck in one seat.  When I checked in this morning it seemed there was not a crowded flight though, so fingers crossed.  I can't wait for her to be able to see her cousin Maeve, who has named all of her dolls after Margot.  Margot is finally big enough to play with her.

A shot of Sawyer feeding Margot...
As for Sawyer, our girl continues to love going to school, and just got registered for Kindergarten the other day.  She has been planning parties for us every night in the dining room where she lays out activities, plans dancing time/songs, and puts snacks in the cubbies of our wine table.  It's pretty funny, though she doesn't like when things don't go according to her plan.  Also new as of late, Sawyer was taken to the dermatologist and has a pox-like virus that causes a rash.  Kind of a pain because there's not much to do about it, and takes several months to go away.  Luckily other than not bathing with her sisters she can still go to school, see friends, etc.

Margot loves playing with the cars in the basement
 She just started crawling through the tent tunnel..
 Hanging with Dad while he tries to watch basketball.  The door just beyond Mark is the door to my office.  I did some decorating this weekend to actually make it a comfy space, since I'm no longer in the living room where I used to keep my desk.  Got some drapes, pictures and wall decor, moved in a bookcase, got a chair and pillow, and it's officially a better office.  Since I do more video calls these days, this was a must.
 And last but not least our girl Isla.  What to say about this girl.  She's possible the sweetest thing around.  She's got such a high pitched little voice and can be very polite throwing around "thanks mom" when you least expect her to.  She also gives the best hugs, and far more than her older sister offers up.  However, she also fights more with Sawyer these days.  She's not quite so willing to do everything Sawyer says, which makes Sawyer mad, and so we've had lots more fights these days.  She can't wait to go to school, and is getting signed up next week for the program Sawyer is in now.  She'll go to school 4 days next year and couldn't be more excited.  We've been trying to work with her on her letters and numbers because while she says the alphabet and counts she's not great at recognizing them.  Good news is she probably now knows half the alphabet by sight, and can spell/write her name.  Mark gets a lot of credit for this being home with her, and hopefully we'll have her writing the full alphabet and first/last name by the time school starts in August.  She's obsessed with the ipad, and just got a new letters game so hopefully that will help too.

And here's our girl flashing some faces.
She makes the funniest faces, I really should snap 10 pictures just in the span of a minute so you can see how much they change in a short time span.
Anyway, the next few days will be divide and conquer parenting.  Mark will have the older girls and I'll have my girl Marge.  I always thought Isla was a momma's girl but Marge may have her beat the way she gets so excited when she sees me.  Sometimes she'll just touch my face like she can't believe I'm really there.  And it's not like I don't see the girl a lot.  I mean I work from home a lot and come up for lunch and breaks and such.  But I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with my girl in Buffalo, so we'll catch you on the flip side.

No comments: