We started out the vacation perfectly - by hitting up Aunt Mary and Uncle Duffy's pool and then the pool at their club. Believe me when i tell you this is the life i hope i'm living in my retirement. I wish I had gotten pictures of Sawyer at their house as there is a fountain in the hot tub and if mark/al held sawyer near it she would just swat her hands in it, pure joy on her face, or alternatively think it was a water fountain and try to take sips. Needless to say starting out vacation on a nice warm day with a dip in the pool was perfect.
The next day Mark and I headed out VERY early to do the one thing we had planned during our trip...run the half marathon. Well - Mark ran, I spectated, still prohibited from any sort of meaningful exercise due to my yet to be healed fifth metatarsal. Here's a picture before the start, and one right around mile 9.5 still looking good. Best part for him is he had his fastest half marathon time which is super, and got in his training run for the marathons he's signed up for in April and May.
After all that exertion we were definitely due some downtime. We spent much of the remainder of the week just hanging either at the beach to play in the sand/surf or spending time in the pool. We didn't keep the camera at hand all the time but got some good shots. The weather wasn't perfect - there were a few cool days when we could only go to the pool, and one day where Mark and I napped while Sawyer did and we never even made it to the beach - so relaxing. For those familiar with Siesta Key you'll all be happy to hear that Mark has been properly introduced to the important spots - Anna's, Captain Curts, Big Olafs...He is now a fan of the Surfer Sandwich, and therefore this marriage can continue on for the ages.
We all had a great time seeing the family while we were there. Sawyer and Alexa played together so well - it was funny seeing how different they were from last August. Alexa is now a little girl and it was as if she felt she needed to take care of Sawyer like one of her dolls, so she would bring her snacks, her cup, toys, etc. It was funny to watch because 9 months ago Alexa was Sawyer's age and didn't want much to do with her then, so i feel like these two will have even more fun the next time they see each other. As some of you may know - Michelle, Julie, Kate, and Al were all there in Florida with my parents which was great. Not only was it great for Mark and I to have a few extra hands who wanted to play/hold Sawyer, but Sawyer had a great time putting on a show for everyone as well. I think her shining moment was dancing to the irish music at the place we went to on St Patrick's Day. Sawyer even got a shout out from the band and clapped or danced to each song then played. She got so much love last week that I was starting to think she was feeling deprived today of all the attention she has been getting. Sadly I didn't get as many pics of Sawyer with the fam as I would like, so I'll have to get them from others and post later...
Probably the biggest development that occurred from our trip is we think Sawyer officially entered the "terrible 2's". I say this because Sawyer says No to everything now. She has gotten incredibly bold and often tells us No if we ask her something, even though we know it's something she wants. So her first inclination is no, and after saying it we take whatever she wants away, and then she starts crying for what we took away. Needless to say, we're starting to stop asking her questions and just tell her things. Gone are the days of Do you want to get dressed? Do you want to take a bath? Do you want milk? Fingers crossed that works. Anyway - despite that it really was a great vacation. Sawyer LOVED the sand, the Gulf, the pool - everything. She loved having the freedom to walk out on our patio and talk to the people walking by. I don't think Mark and I could have hoped for anything better and will certainly be planning future trips and booking her swim lessons this fall she did so well. We got back to town pretty late on Saturday - landing to snow flurries, but thankfully Southwest landed 20 minutes early, our bags were the 3rd and 5th out at baggage claim, and there was not a line for cabs so I think the Chicago gods were welcoming us home. Feels pretty good, but now we are looking forward to spring weather even more than before!
No comments:
Post a Comment