Friday, February 10, 2012

Positive Thinking

I am having a good day.  Not that this is a strange thing, but it's the kind of good day that you feel in your heart - I feel "light" today.  I think I'm inherently a positive person, albeit a realist, so this shouldn't be anything totally out of the ordinary but for some reason I'm highly aware of it today.  Work, kids, and life all seem manageable today so I don't have this impending sense of doom or guilt that I'm forgetting something, have too many things on my to-do list, or giving too much attention to one thing and not enough to the others.  For today, I think I've got it all under control, and it's a pretty darn good feeling. 

Isla and Sawyer are both doing well.  They love to be my helper on all things, and while they often get jealous of the other, I captured a nice moment the other night while I was cooking dinner and they were sharing a strawberry snack on the counter watching me.  Isla was so happy to be let up on the counter, and while I always stayed real close she was digging some newfound freedoms.  If you look closely at this picture you can see her teeth have finally started to come in for real.
As I'm sitting here finishing up a few things for work, and waiting for my 2pm call to roll around, I'm watching it snow outside my window.  At lunch they said the Chicago area/NW Indiana could get up to 18 inches of snow.  Not sure we'd get even half that but will be fun to see.  We have a bunch of things we want to get done this weekend but it's primarily family stuff so not a ton of pressure.  Frost some Valentine's cookies, make Valentine's for the kids classmates, do taxes, etc.  I'm pretty sure there'll be atleast one viewing of the Princess and the Frog and some dancing.  Would you have guessed that's what Sawyer's doing in this picture?
Isla and I had some mommy and me time yesterday.  Mark went in to wake her up at around 7am and found her caked in puke.  That's right, she threw up big time and never woke up.  It was a little comical because about 50% of the time she wakes up once a night and needs a pacifier or a quick cuddle.  On that night, I heard not a peep and woke up myself thinking how refreshed I felt.  Long story long, I kept Isla at home with me and after three baths to wash the smell of her, two outfits for both of us, and a thorough changing of all linens in her room the smell started to subside.  She wasn't sick again and took two seriously good naps - deep deep sleep - that I think helped quite a lot.  Add in a trip to Target where I bought her a new bathing suit and I think she was enjoying her time with me all by herself.
Isla digs her Zebra ride, and I'm looking forward to spring temps so I can let her ride it out on the sidewalk.  However, the stroller is Isla's favorite toy lately.  She pushes her Cabbage Patch Kid - Olive in it, or will put her two most prized possessions - her giraffe and cow blankets in it for a ride.  She sometimes gets jealous of her toys and sits in it herself and whines or cries until one of us pushes her as well.
It's interesting because they always say you take less pictures of Kid #2.  I would agree that in total I take less pictures now that we have two kids because I'm less likely to have a free hand, but right now I seem to take more pictures of Isla because she's "doing" funny/new things.  I take less of Sawyer because she's "saying" funny/new things.  Sawyer makes us laugh a lot and sometimes I think I should leave the video camera on her for 24 hours just to capture it, but it doesn't always translate into a good picture.  This weekend I want to work on Sawyer's writing so maybe we'll have some good pictures from that - I'm starting to sense she's a little perfectionist who won't try something if she can't do it right and so she's been reluctant to try and write her name like some of her classmates try to do.  

And I'll leave you with the pretty picture I took of flowers Mark sent me today.  I know they're for Valentine's Day but I wasn't really thinking about it, and so when the delivery guy came, it added to my good day-ness...

No comments: