Wednesday, March 7, 2012

15 months old


 There's no calling Isla a baby anymore because our girl turned 15 months at the end of February and is so big. She had her doctor appointment earlier in the week and she is 31.5 inches tall and 21 lb 9 oz (75% and 35%, respectively). She's just a half inch shorter than Sawyer was, but a whole three pounds lighter. I can tell by how the clothes fit. Isla wears pants and they're too big around the waist. She also could still wear 6-12 month sweatshirts, but I put them away on principle - my girl is too old for those.

The doctor gave us two thumbs up on Isla's progress. She's talking more, though Mark and I may be needed to decipher some words. She points out animals and body parts - her ears and hair are her favorite. Oddly enough Isla still has no bottom teeth. She's got upper molars even, but no bottom teeth! I was assured by the pediatrician that her whole bottom tooth area is swollen so they're all going to come in together. So far it hasn't affected her, but it makes us laugh.  As the doctor told me, it's a very unique sequence for her teeth to come in that way.

As for playing, Isla is all over the place.  She loves to play in the car, rock on her zebra, push her blankets and dolls in the stroller, and play in the kitchen.  She grabs those teacups and brings them over to us all the time.
Isla's biggest talent though is climbing.  She can shimmy up any chair we have in seconds.  I have found her on this table in the playroom, on our kitchen table, and on our dining room table.  The dining room table amazes me the most because the chairs are not sturdy and Sawyer used to knock them over all the time trying to climb up.  Isla is just agile and she moves quick.  She is up and down the stairs, and will sometimes go get Sawyer's stool from the bathroom and carry it in to climb up on the couch.  I give her props for problem solving.
Not to forget Sawyer.  She's been a good girl lately.  She no longer gets bad reports at school for not listening, instead preferring to tell us every day that she got a good report and she listened and didn't fight, or hit.  She's really growing up.  I'm looking forward to spring and summer to get her outside more because I think she'll enjoy her bike, the park, and the pool even more than last year.  She needs some more activity too because I can only take so much of her on the ipad...though she does love this thing and navigates it like a pro.  This morning she was obsessed with showing me pictures of hummingbirds because Mark showed them to her last night.  So at least it is semi-educational?
As for Mark and I, our work lives are continuing to challenge us.  As I told my Mom the other day, I understand why so many people move back to be near family when they have children.  We could use some back-up help this week with Mark travelling and it would be nice to have someone a few miles down the road to give you a little reprieve when you're having a hard day.  But such is life.  We definitely make it work, though some days are harder than others.  On a more exciting note, we're moving forward on decorating the basement!  We moved the remaining boxes and ordered up the first few things on our list.  The tv and speakers arrive today and bar fridge on Saturday.  Sawyer and Isla like having another place to go play and explore, so we're finally going to make it an enjoyable place for us to hang out as well!  We'll post some pictures once it's done.

No comments: