Thursday, June 13, 2013

O Summer, Where Art Thou?

Feels a bit like we're still in April showers with the amount of rain we've gotten here in Chicago lately.  Today is one of the first truly nice days - in the 70s with no humidity, and while it was beautiful we need some sustained warm weather for it to really start feeling like summer.  For me, I suppose it's been fine because I haven't exactly been venturing out too far, and am just now getting out to walk a bit more, but I have to say that Sawyer and Isla can get crabby when cooped up so I'm looking forward for that to change. So today we packed the whole family up and went over to the Middle School field where the girls played frisbee with Mark and ran around, and I took Margot on a little walk through the neighborhood there.  It is good to get them running, and I found myself laughing at Isla - she was complaining of a cramp in her side and told me she was too sweaty, though I didn't feel a drop on her.  Hopefully we'll continue to be outside more as each week passes.

Not too much else to report on.  Margot is doing well eating and sleeping and is getting bigger for sure.  She still wears the handful of newborn outfits I have and isn't yet into the 3 months clothes, but I think we're almost there.  With the weather a little shoddy she's mostly in long sleeves and pants or sleepers anyway so that we keep her warm enough.

My mom took this picture of Margot when she was two days old the day we got home from the hospital.  I think it's one of my favorite pictures we have of her so far, and she's so surprisingly alert.
Mostly this is what we see.  Girl sleeping on the boppy sitting on my lap.  She is funny to watch though because she smiles and laughs and makes funny faces in her sleep.  I think most babies do this as it's involuntary but it really is funny to hear a belly laugh erupt out of her as she sleeps.
I usually can just lay the boppy next to me and she'll continue to sleep on the couch.  I took her picture like that yesterday as she was sleeping under the pretty blanket my work sent us with her name monogrammed.  It's funny because Margot doesn't sleep too well in her crib during the day, but will stay there and sleep at night.  It's almost like she knows mid-day naps are meant to be on the couch...at least in my world.
As for the other two, Isla is on her way to being potty trained.  She tells us every day that she isn't going to wear diapers because the baby wears diapers, and she wears underwear, though we also use a pull-up for our own sanity.  So far she's been pretty darn good, and if anything it's just annoying because she always asks for my help just when I start to feed Margot.  But either way, we haven't had too many accidents so I'm hoping by the end of the month we're good to go.  Not quite ready for night time or naps but if she's like Sawyer hopefully that'll follow shortly thereafter.

Yesterday she played dress up by herself, and this is what she came up with...She had a tutu on with it, but didn't last long so we missed that.
 We also hit up the sprinkler last night as it got quite hot and humid before the rain storms.  She was being quite coy, and likes to look down to avoid our eyes but she had a great time playing in the sprinkler.
Sawyer has been pretty good lately as well, or I should say improving.  I am slowly whittling away at her resolve, at least I like to tell myself that.  I finally found her achilles heel to make her listen - threaten deleting her shows from DVR.  No amount of spanking, yelling, time outs, etc work better than that.  So now, when I tell her to do something or stop hitting, or be nice, this is the consequence for bad behavior.  I actually think that, coupled with some better sleep, has improved her behavior.  

Mark took her to play tennis yesterday and to the playground to meet some friends and they had a blast.  I think the running around did her well because she was fun to be around that night and went to be well too.  Amazing.  We'll see if she keeps it up.  Here's a picture of Sawyer at her friend's birthday party two weeks ago...
 And showing off one of her art projects Aunt Michelle sent to her...
Last weekend we hopped on over to Michigan for the day to go to Ben and Charlie's birthday party, though I have no pictures to show for it as we forgot to bring the camera.  Grandma had hers so maybe we can get some that way.  The girls were able to see Grandma Harris, Aunt Ann, Uncle Ted, and Charlie and Ben.  Margot didn't do much but eat and sleep as expected but the girls enjoyed seeing their cousins and always play well together.  I think Isla took most of the party to warm up and play but she tells us she had a great time.  We drove in that morning and home that afternoon so we were all tired when we got home.  Luckily the girls all slept on the way home, and it was only the last 20 minutes that were hard - Sawyer had to go to the bathroom, Isla was so tired and wasn't really sure what was going on so just kept crying, and Margot woke up and was ready to eat again.  We have a longer trip in a few weeks so hopefully it was good practice.

No comments: