Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Visit, A Birthday, and Some Phone Pics

We were very lucky last week to get a visit from some of our favorite people.  The Daleys decided to make Ryan's Christmas party trip to Chicago a family trip.  That meant we got to see Kate, Ryan, Maeve and Rory for a nice weekend visit.  I can't say we were super productive while they were here. Other than a trip to the library, frozen yogurt and the playground we didn't leave the house the whole weekend.  

This was the scene when they arrived - I was feeding Rory but my girl wanted her love too and insisted I spread the love around equally.
One reason for our laziness was the fact that we had five kids 6 and under and it's hard to leave the house with that many kids.  But the other is probably the fact that all five kids had a cough and/or runny nose, and I was battling a cold myself.  Rory's tired eyes kind of say it all in this pic, so there was a lot of just playing around the house.  
But hey, that can be fun too.  Maeve and Isla played well together probably 80% of the time, the other 20% was probably spent arguing over toys...usually this horse.  Eventually they learned to share it, and we saw a lot of this - two girls running around the house on a horse.  They also were big into playing Elsa and Anna where one would lay on the ground after they were hit by ice and the other used her magical powers.
And sometimes these girls just relaxed and watched a movie together.  Perhaps our little Margot shouldn't watch tv/ipad at her age but she's a serious fan so it's hard to say no.  I think Rory was napping so this is the closest I got to a picture of all the children together.  
Kate and Ryan headed out for the Christmas party the one night and we got to watch all five kids.  It pretty much convinced us that having five kids would be madness.  Mark was bathing Margot while I was giving Rory a bottle and putting him to bed.  During that time, Isla was running around upstairs, Maeve fell asleep on the couch, and Sawyer watched the ipad on the couch.  We thought we did pretty well though because all five children were in bed by 7:30 until Maeve woke up at 11p ready to rock.  I brought her downstairs because she was all kinds of chatty, and not into whispering, where she kindly suggested that we "watch a movie called Frozen".  And that was where Kate and Ryan found us shortly thereafter.  Luckily she listened when they said it was time for back to bed; unluckily, Rory woke up just as everyone was about to go to upstairs.  Sleeping is not boy's thing so he is going to owe his mom and dad big time someday.
Next up after the weekend was my birthday.  I used to totally make it my day - take the day off of work, go Christmas/me shopping, see a movie, and then end the night meeting Mark out for a nice dinner.  Why has that stopped?  This year I worked, helped make dinner, and then had some lovely desserts that Mark picked up.  One of the big highlights was using my space heater Mark bought me for my office (because the basement is cold).  It was fun, but I'm thinking perhaps I need to bring back a few elements of my celebrations from year's past.
The girls were very much looking forward to having cake, and Margot came over and sat with me, and even helped sing.  Please ignore the crazy hair - I had just taken out a pony tail so there's some weird kinks going on.  Only pics of Margie and me, but Sawyer and Isla were on either side singing away as well, and dug right into the cannolis - which Sawyer calls "granolis", which makes Mark and I laugh each time even though it's totally not that funny.  
And now...just some random photos.  This is one of my favorites of Margot and I.  She loves to take pictures with my phone.
 A picture of Sawyer showing Grandma how she does math on the ipad...and a few sisters looking on
 Margot had some fun with the bucket from Isla's toy
 And Sawyer took a bit of a selfie..she actually took a bunch...
We are all sorts of looking forward to Christmas.  We have a nice relaxing holiday at home planned, are hoping for some snow to go sledding, planning to hit up a movie or two, will probably do some breakfasts/lunches out, and hope to play with lots of new toys that allow Mark and I to also relax a bit as well.  Pretty crazy it's only two weeks away...

No comments: