Monday, December 22, 2014

Relaxing Before the Holidays

With Christmas only three days away it seems counter-intuitive that we would be relaxing these days but that's just what we've been up to.  With no travel and no visitors planned we don't have much to concern ourselves with.  The Christmas shopping and decorating was done pretty early with just one final trip needed this weekend for stocking stuffers and wrapping paper.  And since most of the family is sick with a cold of some sort we've not been doing too much.  The girls finished up school last week with each enjoying their Christmas parties.  Margot and Mark went to Isla's and got to see her put on a little Christmas concert, which I am sad I missed.  She seems to really be loving her school and I'm very happy we switched her.  She'll be attending our church preschool again next year as well, but three days instead of two.  I also took Sawyer and Isla to the church Christmas concert, which had all the grades except preschool participate.  They loved it and clapped excitedly after each performance.  I didn't think we'd stay to the end, but we did.

As for this weekend, it was probably the most low key we've had in a long while, and I have to say it was wonderful.  I read an entire book, which I can't remember doing in a long time.  But the kids were pretty well behaved, or at least would go off and play on their own a bit more...or I just wasn't caring about what they got into.  On Sunday Sawyer & Isla spent an hour with my make-up and then put various dresses on.  Quite frankly I should have stopped them but it made for a peaceful hour...and at the end of the day I need new makeup so didn't really care.

We stayed in jammies a bit longer, and just kind of hung out.  We did make it over to the library on Saturday to get out of the house for a bit of play time, which is where most of the pictures are from. We also made some more cookies - holiday M&M cookies this time.  Just one more batch to make sometime in the next two weeks - Molasses, at Mark's request.  Shouldn't be hard since we have lots more relaxing time planned over the next two weeks while the kids are off from school, and I'm mostly off from work.

As for our trip to the library, they play in this bin quite a bit.  You take those shapes and velcro them on a big wall, but it's also a great little area to roll around in...which they did.
 Isla played with some of the ipad games while she was there
And as soon as Margot was left to her own devices she threw all those shapes on the floor. Luckily she's pretty good at cleaning up so she helped put them all back too
 We played some legos...with Margot in her very comfy leisure suit that had us laughing all day.
 And Isla did some dress-up as a cowgirl.
All in all, a good weekend.  We are looking forward to an equally relaxing holiday.  At Sawyer's request we'll be having spaghetti and meatballs for Christmas Eve dinner, but will let the girls wear their fancy dresses and eat in the dining room with candles.  Rather than make a pie or anything, we are going to have hot fudge sundaes with sprinkles, whipped cream, and cherries for dessert on both nights...something I know the kids will eat...and sometime tomorrow when I go to the grocery store I'll figure out a dinner for Christmas based on whatever looks good.  If we spend the whole day in sweats and pajamas on Thursday I'll totally be ok with it....especially if these colds don't go away.

No comments: