Sunday, February 7, 2010

Shake Ya Tail Feather...

This is the theme song for this weekend (as sung by Nelly for those not in the know). Sawyer does this little move when she hugs us, or she's cuddling, or even like the below picture she's half laying on one of us, where she just wiggles her butt up and down. It makes Mark and I both laugh whenever she does it because it's almost as if she's just repositioning herself, but sometimes it's like her own personal dance move. Whichever it is - I find myself singing the chorus of Shake Ya Tailfeather when she does it. So this weekend was pretty low key for the Harris's. With the exception of one quick trip to the grocery store by me we haven't left the house. Seems odd, but we just didn't have anywhere we needed to or wanted to go, so seemed kind of nice to just chill. It's winter though - that's what we're supposed to do in winter right? Anyway - we took a lot of pictures this weekend, and so i'm going to use those to blog. Started out the weekend with our happy baby just kind of playing. I had bought a watermelon a week ago, and was worried it would go bad, so that was among the first things we did Friday - carve it on up. Seems like a stupid thing to write about, but Sawyer was digging the watermelon. Her tastes continue to change because she used to not eat it, but well - you can see below - she went to town. She had juice EVERYWHERE, but just kept saying "MMMM" and grabbing more. Since we spent the whole weekend at home, Mark spent a good deal of time on his computer. The only catch is that Sawyer likes to also compute with him. She likes Mark's "farm" that he has built on facebook because it plays music and does all the animal sounds. We have also introduced her to SesameStreet.com and let her watch short Elmo videos. She is obsessed with Sesame Street. She cries when Elmo disappears from a video for a second, and signs "more" not understanding that she's watching a clip and we can't bring him back on our own. It's cute because she gets SO excited watching these clips, but quite annoying because she never wants to get off the computer. Anyway - another reason we didn't really leave is the weather is still blah. While the sun came out a bit today, it's still cold and just not something we felt like hanging in. Needless to say, we're all looking forward to our vacation - now less than 5 weeks away - woohoo! In honor of that, I put Sawyer in the bathing suit her Grandma gave her for Christmas to see how it fit. She didn't want to take it off, which I hope is a good sign, and spent some time Saturday morning playing in it. While I debated bundling us all up and heading out for brunch today, I decided to make smoothies and french toast instead. Sawyer is a big fan of my smoothies, which is great because they are good for you. Typically we use the straw, but our headstrong girl has started to drink out of a glass more often, resulting in this amazing smoothie mustache. For those of you interested in my smoothie recipe - i use one container of Dannon Lite & Fit Yogurt, 1/2 a bag of frozen mixed berries, about 1/2 -1cup water and blend it all together...amazing. Sawyer spent the rest of the day talking our ears off. Her big thing is books - she LOVES books. If she isn't reading them to herself and babbling away, she's bringing them over to one of us to read. Sawyer even surprised us this weekend by putting together her first real sentences. She sings "Baa Baa Black Sheep" over and over, "Clean Up Clean Up Everybody Everywhere", and says "I want some". The "I want some" surprised me the most. We sing the first two to her, but I don't recall Mark and I using the "I want some" phrase frequently, if at all. However, I think that I often ask Sawyer "do you want some" when she inevitably comes over to beg anytime that i'm eating something so thinking that's where it came from. Other than that, we gave Sawyer a bit of a treat in honor of the Superbowl - the three of us had a picnic in the family room for dinner instead of the normal dinner table thing. I laid out a blanket, and brought our food on the floor. We had a big breakfast, and homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch, so dinner was a little different - taco salad dip. My family can attest this is one of my fave football game snacks, though I couldn't tell you the last time I had it. All that changed today. Sawyer, Mark and I sat down to picnic with our taco salad, and blueberries and milk for Sawyer. As I predicted - she dug right in and was picking off one of her new favorite foods - the black olives. I do believe her food habits mirror mine though it took me much longer to eat half the things she does. The picnic itself was so fun - we could tell Sawyer was having a great time - and it was nice to just do something different. I think I'm going to try and do these every month or two she had so much fun. At one point Mark folded up the blanket because there were crushed tortilla chips everywhere. Sawyer got so mad and tried to carry the blanket back, so we had to replace it with a clean one that her and Daddy could lounge on post-dinner. This is her going to "sleep" as she will tell you. It didn't take long before Sawyer was worn out and ready for bed. Just before bed came, we snapped this final picture of our little homey in Daddy's hat...taco sauce on the face...eyes starting to droop a bit. Fingers crossed we don't hear a peep tonight.

No comments: