Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Al & Jon's Visit

This weekend Al & Jon came to visit, which was a really nice break from boring winter days.  Not that we really did anything while they were here (hopefully they didn't mind), but it was 20 degrees, and snowed the one day so other than eating out we just kind of hung out and watched a lot of football.
Sawyer and I went to pick them up from the airport on Friday.  She was extremely excited to see them and had me yelling "ALICIA AND JON - COME TO OUR HOUSE" over and over.  It was so odd and I'm sure some passing motorists were wondering what I was doing.  She eventually just said "thank you" and that was it, which got me laughing as well.  When Jon and Al did finally get in the car it was radio silence from her till we got home.  She had giant saucer eyes but wouldn't talk.  Perhaps it was because her Uncle Jon arrived with a mullet? Who wouldn't be scared of that... 
 Isla was a great sleeper while they were here.  She's started to sleep longer at night usually going to bed around 9pm and then sleeping till 3 or 4am.  She's usually good till about 6 or 7am from there.  Now if I could just get myself to go to bed at 9pm I'd be good.  She really only sleeps well in her crib at night, though I have no idea why. During the day if I try to put her there she's up five minutes later.  So she sleeps on Porter (the stuffed dog), the boppy, or me.
Sawyer did show Al and Jon how she loves on her sister.  To my chagrin she normally wants to hug and kiss her while Isla is taking a nap, but thankfully with all the attention Sawyer was getting from Al & Jon she spent more time playing with them than bothering her sister.
I'm pretty sure Isla will have a very strong immune system because Sawyer touches her all the time, steals her binky, and has even been known to cough and sneeze on her. 
 Other than eating out, Sawyer also got to test out her sled that Santa brought her.  Mark pulled her in circles and she loved it.  Since Al & Jon left, Sawyer's two main comments from this weekend have been that she shared eggies and pancakes with Jon and that she wore Alicia's gloves while she went sledding.
 Holding on...
 Exercise for Daddy...
 All smiles...
The other big "event" from this weekend is that we switched Sawyer to underwear.  She's been wearing only pull-ups but I had to finally pull the trigger when her teacher told me she was ready.  She did pretty good all weekend - only one accident on Saturday. On two occasions this weekend when I told her it was time to sit on the potty she just went.  It was like as soon as she thought of it, she couldn't wait for the bathroom, so that was unfortunate.  She is so excited to wear underwear though - even modeling it on her head for us.  She refuses to wear pull-ups now, though we still make her for naps and bed.
 On Sunday we were a little less fortunate.  While out to lunch I prided myself on remembering to take her to the bathroom, and for her going, however that bubble was busted 10 minutes later when she pee'd in her booster seat only to then tell me she had to go.  Oops.  Silly me brought no change of clothes for her so we took a quick trip home to change only to return to the restaurant and her insist on going back to the bathroom.  Seriously, who can pee that much in 30 minutes?  I'm looking forward to picking her up from daycare to hear how she does there.  Don't worry - I brought them five changes of clothes just in case.
We were sad to see Al and Jon go especially because they kept Sawyer so entertained, taught her to work an iPad, and let me play hours of games on theirs...but we dropped them off at the airport on Monday morning anyway.  Sawyer keeps talking about them and told me they went on the airplane but will be back tomorrow.  Wish I could capture her facial expression when she says it.  She nods the whole time as if she's trying to jedi-mind trick you into believing it will actually happen.

No comments: