Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Technical Difficulties

So I'm having trouble getting pictures from the camera to my computer today...thinking that my company disabled the port I use which is going to be annoying - home computer Mac here we come?  That would be an unfortunate result I know.

So anyway, bummer because I think there's some good ones on there.  It's actually how I tend to remember what we did the previous week.  The weeks themselves tend to fly by pretty quickly with work and daycare and dinner and baths and such.  So I'll focus on what I do remember - the weekend.

On Friday, Mark and I both found ourselves downtown.  I had an all-office meeting in the afternoon for my company, and Mark was going to be attending a charity dinner on Friday evening with some colleagues after work.  Totally enjoyed my meeting - we had the mayor come speak, some motivational speakers who were really good I thought, a charity partner of ours, and a marketing person spoke on our recently rolled out campaign.  All in all, very good.  One problem - it ran late, and I didn't get on the train till almost 5:30, which means I didn't get to daycare till a bit after 6.  I hate when that happens - I hate when the girls are there for super long periods of time.  I know it's unavoidable, and their days are typically not that long, but I feel guilty regardless.

So anyway, because I picked them up late, and was hungry myself I decided we'd stop at our little boutique grocery store to pick up some pre-made fixins for dinner.  I was thinking sushi for myself and figured I could find something that would work for them.  This store has little mini carts with flags on them that say "shopper in training", and since we weren't getting much and this store is not big I designated Sawyer our cart girl.  She was loving the responsibility and honestly looked so cute pushing her cart around the store.  We got many laughs and smiles because she was talking away through the store.  Next time, when I don't have Isla in my arms, I will take her picture.  We bought more than I intended because she loved putting stuff in her cart, including more swedish fish and frog cookies.  Isla needed her cookie opened immediately and was happy as a clam.
Honestly, this girl has next to no fat on her body so I have trouble saying no to her any time she wants to eat, and this cookie was no exception.  She's also become a ridiculous fan of marshmallows.  Weird right?  She knows which cupboard we keep them in, and will walk you over to it and just point and whine until you give in to her.  She's also now a huge fan of cereal with milk.  It's a ridiculously messy affair - she is allowed no clothes on because the milk gets everywhere, but for a girl who eats very little she tucked into two full bowls the other day.

On Saturday, we had a pretty chill day at home - cleaning, doing "projects" as Sawyer likes to call crafts.  We let them do some finger/brush painting, play with play-doh, etc.  Isla is a bit strange in that she doesn't like to get her hands dirty so she last all of 1 minute finger painting before she required a bath.  It was just long enough to get herself dirty.

Both girls got baths and naps because we had some evening plans - we were going to see the Elmo Show!  Though Isla and I weren't supposed to attend, our friend's daughter got sick and so we ended up using the tickets.  I'm so glad we did.  I really was skeptical because Isla just isn't super enjoyable in confined spaces right now, but both loved this show.  From the minute the lights went down they were mesmerized, and waved and clapped, and were just so excited to sing the songs and see all the Sesame Street characters.  We even stayed strong and didn't succomb to all the crazy toys and balloons they sell at those things.  Sawyer started to beg for the Elmo balloons that popped out at intermission, but she was quickly diverted into looking/counting the number that were accidentally let go and floated up to the ceiling.  Haha - suckers...those lasted all of 30 seconds.

Here's Sawyer when she heard Big Bird tell her the show was about to get started...
And a look at the stage...
On Sunday, we were all a little tired.  We had tickets to the Cubs game, but ended up cancelling because of a big rain storm blew in.  Turned out to be a blessing because the whole family needed some sleep.  All four of us took naps at some point throughout the day - Isla tipping the scales at 4 hours.   It was rainy for most of the day but we did decide to venture out for dinner to shed off some of that couped up feeling.  Mark chose a new restaurant that opened by us.  It was really nice, and probably not the kind of place we should have taken Sawyer and Isla.  Isla just doesn't like to sit, so she was crawling around and Sawyer was playing with some dolls but singing in her not so soft voice.  I am pretty sure Mark and I didn't say one interesting sentence to the other the entire meal, but focused mainly on sshhh'ing our kids.  Alas, we did get out of there relatively quick only to listen to Sawyer complain on the way home that she didn't get to go poop at the restaurant but needed to.  I'm not sure that she really had to as I had taken her to the bathroom not even 15 minutes earlier but it made us laugh on the way home.

It wasn't quite bed time so on our way home we hit up one of the playgrounds.  Due to the rain there was no one there.  We had the run of the place...as you can see...
Isla didn't want to leave, but the prospect of us leaving without her finally got her moving in the right direction.... 

No comments: