Sunday, June 3, 2012

Memorial Day 2012


So it's clear I'm a little behind, and while I am not feeling like a great storyteller right now, I'm starting to worry I won't even remember what we've been up to.  And we had a pretty nice Memorial Day weekend, so I don't want to forget.  This was perhaps the first time we've stayed home for this holiday in many years.  In fact, our 7th anniversary was this weekend, and I think it may even be since before we were married that we didn't travel for this holiday.  It was a hard decision too because my cousin got married on Saturday in Rochester, and it would have been really nice to see the family and celebrate, but with just being away for work I didn't feel it was smart to leave Mark and the kids alone again so soon.

But I digress...I ended up taking off part of Friday and starting the weekend early because I was really in need of some downtime.  Of course I took myself to Target to prepare for all the fun we were planning to have that weekend.  Isla wound up with a new bike - a sweet little tricycle that has a push handle for Mark or I to avoid the bending over.  They also got a little golf set for the yard, and some cool stuff for the pool.

To start the weekend off right, I also picked the ladies up early from daycare and we busted out some of our new toys in the backyard while I put together Isla's trike.  The $3 I paid for this thing was well worth it because it kept them occupied for quite awhile.
Isla has even learned the word golf; she will sometimes go to our back door and say "golf" to tell me she wants to play...And we've had no incidents of crazy swinging, and hitting the other sister which is nice...
On Saturday I got up way early to head downtown to run the Soldier Field 10 mile race.  And no, you didn't misread that, I did sign up to run 10 miles, and despite only running up to 5 miles in my training did not back out.  I had signed up with a friend of mine and so met up with her and we finished!  While I will never claim to be a fast runner, we did finish in 1 hour 58  min, which I'm pretty proud of considering I ran 8 miles and then ran/walked the last 2.  It's a neat race in that you finish by running under the stadium through the player's entrance and then run out of the their tunnel and finish on the 50 yard line of Soldier Field which was quite cool.

I hurried home because Mark and the girls were waiting on me to head to the pool we joined for the summer.  So no rest for my weary muscles, we went and spent about 2-3 hours at the pool.  I'm so happy we joined.  Most importantly, Sawyer and Isla LOVED it.  They enjoyed playing in the water so much and alternated from the baby pool to the big pool all day.  Mark and I also enjoyed ourselves - it was in the 90s and so the water was perfect in the heat.  Sawyer is going to take swim lessons on Saturdays and Mark has signed himself up for Men's Tennis on Monday's and I'm hoping we take advantage of the pool as much as possible in between.

Needless to say, after coming home and spending some more time outside, the entire family was pretty bushed.  If memory serves I passed out around 8:30pm for the night.

Sawyer playing with her clubs...
Sunday was another day back at the pool.  We were one of the first ones there right when it opened which I think is a schedule that works well for us.  We go and stay for 2-3 hours, bring a snack, but go home for lunch and naps...sometimes for me and Mark too!  It's amazing how much that 90 degree weather knocks it out of you.  While we were able to keep Isla and Sawyer from getting any burn, Mark did not lotion himself accordingly and ended up with quite a burn on his back, so we had to call timeout on the pool for Monday.  We ended up going shoe shopping for Isla and walking into town for lunch.  You'd think we'd learn that our kids are just not fun to dine with right now - at home or at a restaurant - but we are gluttons for punishment.  Someday...restaurants will be relaxing again!!!

Can't remember much more, only that it was relaxing, and I wish it was longer.  I'll leave you with a picture of Isla carrying her golf bag around.  It's on wheels and so she sometimes walks with it.  I missed the picture, but she also put her cup in it, and it sat on top as her cupholder while she walked. 

No comments: