Friday, June 22, 2012

Weekends are the Best

Master of the obvious with that title - I know. But I'm sitting here on my couch, after calling it an early day from work, with Isla watching an Elmo video in the playroom, and Sawyer lining up pens from my computer bag in the living room and it's peaceful here at the Harris house. Yes, perhaps I should be worried about Sawyer's weird OCD tendency to line things up, or my own since I seem to keep a lot of pens, but I'm choosing to just embrace the feeling of relaxation that has found me. Besides I've just managed to redirect her into using said pen to practice writing her letters.

We just got back from taking Isla to the doctor for her 18 month visit, albeit just a few days shy of her being 19 months. What can I say, May was a busy month. Our girl is growing just perfectly according to the doctor. She is 32.5 inches tall, the exact height Sawyer was at this age, though 23 lb and 4 oz, a full three pounds less than her sister was. Doesn't surprise me as people always comment on how she's quite a dainty, tiny thing. She's actually about 35% so not off the charts, but she's stayed on that path of being 75-90% for height and a lower weight %....kind of seems like she's rocking the gene pool to me.

At any rate, we're sitting around relaxing waiting for Mark to get home so we can head to the carnival. It's in town for the weekend, and a really good size so we'll head over and eat dinner there, ride some rides, and play some games...the three things I promised Sawyer we could do. She has indicated she would like to go on the slide again (despite being terrified last year), the merry go round, the ferris wheel, and the cars. She also wants to play a game and win a toy like her friend Joey did last year. She doesn't know what she wants to eat, the girl just loves to eat out and so if you ever ask Sawyer if she wants to go out to eat, she'll say yes. I can't lie though, I'm super excited to go myself. I really think they are going to be quite funny to watch and it just feels like a real summer-y thing to do right now.

We don't have a lot planned for this weekend. We're headed to the pool tomorrow for more swim lessons and fun in the water. I took the girls this week while Mark was away and Isla totally flipped out because she felt she could swim on her own. She would let go and push me away thinking she could float. Finally, I got her to the side kicking and screaming, and holding onto the side of the pool.  She was happy when I wasn't holding on to her, and shimmied her way along the side about 30 ft.  Girl just wants to do it all herself.  Since the pool is our only scheduled activity, we may end up back at the carnival tomorrow or Sunday too...we'll see how tonight goes.

Nothing much to report from this past week - Mark went away, the girls hung out.  I found I was pretty productive with my housework while he was gone which was good, but not too pleased by the extra kid I had in bed with me on 2 of the nights - Sawyer woke up at 3am twice and came in to join me.  Plus, Isla got up at 5:30am on 2 mornings, so I was/am a bit tired to say the least.  I have two cute pics from last weekend I'll share - we made a tent in our family room with some blankets.  Sawyer got into it far more than Isla, who kind of sat on the edge not quite sure of the whole experience.  I think it was a little too dark under there, so perhaps next time we'll try different blankets.

Peeking out...
 Loving it...

No comments: