But that seems to be all fixed, so back to life. It's been a long two weeks since the last post. For starters, about 12 hours after the last one I came down with the same bug as Isla and it kicked by butt. I woke up on Monday and immediately started throwing up. There was not a thing left in me, and nothing could go in. Luckily, Mark was staying home that day as we were meeting with someone in the afternoon and helped me out with the girls. I nearly fainted in the shower - I thought I gracefully sat down in the shower when I got dizzy but apparently not because he heard a loud noise and came up to investigate, and then proceeded to help me out of the shower - so good thing he was home. It wasn't the worst timing - though I had a really important meeting the next day that I was worried about. I managed to feel a bit better by evening, prepare for my meeting, and made it in for it. I left shortly after, and to be honest the rest of the week was a blur of waiting for the weekend to catch up on some rest.
The weekend itself was pretty good, not great. Isla is a challenge these days for sure. At 18 months, the girl is a handful with very strong opinions. For some reason she went through like 2 weeks of just not sleeping well at all, which made us need the weekend all the more! She was up around 5am every day. And when she gets up she wants to go downstairs, get some milk, get a banana, and watch elmo...but not on the tv, on a little mini dvd player. She needs to go in her playroom and sit on her chair. The good thing about this, is I usually tried to get more sleep on the couch while she did this, but she presses buttons as well, so every few minutes yells to mom for help.
Showing you how happy she is watching videos....
But it's not too long before she goes into the zone...
I have since figured out that I think she needs to wear heavy jammies to stay warm and she'll sleep longer. We were starting to dress her in summer jammies, but with the A/C and her skinny physique she actually preferred to wear the heavy flannels with feet.
Sawyer went to her first swim lesson last weekend, and she loved it. She was very nervous at first, and Mark had to get in with her, but he managed to slip out after a few and when it was all over she ran over and told us she was scared at first, but then she had fun. They had her kicking, and using her arms, and playing silly games to get her to go underwater. I wouldn't say she's on her way to being Michael Phelps but she's gotten more comfortable in the water, and will go underwater without goggles or holding her nose which is good. I also think it's good someone who's not her parent is teaching her - she listens way better. I'm considering signing her up for the next session even though she'd only make 3 of the 5 lessons...that or maybe some private lessons just to keep her going in the right direction.
The pool has turned out to be great for us. We've used it quite a bit and while we don't go for extensive periods of time, it's only 5 minutes away and keeps us outside. Isla is a bit young - next year she'll be perfect for it - but she enjoys it as well. The hardest part with her is keeping her entertained. She moves from one pool to the other and back again and so I find myself just following her around for 2-3 hours while Mark and Sawyer play. She does love to swim too though. She actually seems more of a natural than Sawyer. She puts her face in voluntarily and when you "swim" with her she puts herself in a superman position with legs and hands out straight. Yesterday she fell in the baby pool in the deeper section, which goes from 6 inches to 1.5 ft. I was a few steps away and she just kind of floated there until i got there to pull her up. I was impressed because for the few seconds she was under she seemed to hold her breath. She was a little scared of being under, but wasn't coughing up water or anything.
Anyway, since I've written this post several times, I've noticed it changes each time. One thing I'll show you is Sawyer's art project from school. One of her teachers does all sorts of fun projects with them, and this was over the course of a week - making masks.
We have the monkey...
The cat...
And the dog...
But she likes to know if I'm looking at her, so I always catch her peaking...
Not a whole lot else to report. We took the girls to the mall one night to get out and learned that they both love soft pretzels. We knew Sawyer did, but Isla gobbled them up as well. Isla also hugs nearly every mannequin she sees. We were shopping for some clothes for Mark and so she kept hugging all these male mannequin legs. It was really funny to watch. It was also a ridiculously stressful shopping trip. Sawyer took off and decided to hide from us. If I didn't see her the one time we never would have found her, b/c she would curl up under clothes against the wall totally out of sight. Such a little shit. Isla then got into the action and started just running away from me. In the meantime, I'm trying to help Mark find some shirts. I finally left the store with them to go to the playzone - all the while carrying Isla in such a way to prevent her from hitting, biting, or pulling my hair. She's a scrappy little fighter when you try to make her do something she doesn't want. Needless to say, they were happy when we got to the playzone. How Isla didn't get killed is beyond me as there were some crazy older kids running around but she held her own and seemed to love running the circle up into the tree house and down the slide and around again. Sawyer was a good sister and was watching out for her - usually waiting at the entrance to the slide till she caught up and they could go down together.
Daddy and his girls..
Yes that is suntan lotion on his chin. Isla loves to hold the lotion bottles and will put lotion on everyone's face. It's often annoying but I figure I shouldn't discourage her from putting it on ever. I've managed to keep that skin milky white despite spending several hours in the sun on the weekends - no tan lines yet! Sawyer's arms and legs are getting a little tanner. She seems to have a different complexion where she'll get a little natural color.
We didn't do much to celebrate Father's Day - the girls made him the cutest gifts at daycare. Sawyer has a card that says she loves her dad because he watches movies with her and takes her to get slurpees, and had a bookmark strip of pictures they took of her. It so perfectly captures her personality and expressions that I need to figure out if I can scan it. I know Mark loved it as well. Isla's present was two hand prints that say Isla loves her daddy, and then you open it and find they're connected and the paper says "this much". It's totally cute, and both girls gave their dad some good hugs this weekend. Sawyer likes to tell us it's daddy day.
Mark is travelling this week so we won't see him till Thursday night which is probably the best present - he could use a few days of just peace, despite probably being busy at work. We've got a lot going on this week. As I re-write this, our old deck is being pulled out. It turns out we have a possum living underneath it burrowed into an old stone step...sorry sir, but you're getting the boot. We will have a new multi-level patio and backyard landscaping 90% completed by week's end. Also this week, the carnival comes to our town and Isla will be FINALLY getting her 18 month check-up at the doctor's. I am looking forward to both of these - I think both will love the rides and atmosphere at the carnival. Sawyer is older and I think will be less scared, and Isla seems to take her cue from Sawyer so happy times (fingers crossed) here we come. And...I want to know how big my girl has gotten. She seems to be tall and skinny to me so curious to hear if the doctor agrees. I have shorts that are 12 months, 18 months, and 24 months that Isla can wear - hand-me-downs from her sister. Funnily enough none of them fit her. The length is fine on all of them, but the waist needs to be rolled down no matter what the size because they fall down her when she stands up.
Got a few good pics from this weekend I'll post later. Before I do that, I need to research on the blog when I made Sawyer give up her binky. Isla is HIGHLY attached to hers, and while we're getting better at only letting her have it at nap/bedtime, or when she just wakes up, I'm worried I need to cut the cord on that sooner rather than later.
No comments:
Post a Comment