I was very much looking forward to this weekend. Mark had been gone the previous weekend for his race and it was a very busy start to our week, so I was thinking a nice relaxing weekend at home was just what the doctor ordered. I have to say though that by Friday afternoon, I was not surprised when at my doctor's appointment they told me my blood pressure had skyrocketed compared to my normally very steady numbers. The week was busy throughout, with construction on the bathroom continuing, and often grating on my nerves as they cut tile while I try to work and talk on the phone. We had guys out to measure for our counter and bath tops, the bathroom designer, the insurance claim adjuster for the basement, and while none of these take me away from work for extremely long, they are just a continuous stream of people that need to be dealt with and don't simplify my day in any way. The good news is that the bathroom is starting to look amazing and I think we're going to be extremely happy with it, the bad news is it may not be done for two more weeks which makes our timing VERY tight.
Needless to say, when we got to Friday I was thinking perhaps it would be an easy day. I knew going in that I had to run to the grocery store in the early AM to get some things for a party at the kids' daycare, had an important call with my boss, needed to go register Sawyer for pre-school, and a doctor's appointment, but overall though that I could ease into the weekend feeling pretty good. However, we had a bit of a mishap. As Isla was climbing into her car seat to go to school her foot slipped and she fell sideways hitting her head somewhere in the car near the door, and evidently finding something sharp because she had a deep little gash on her head. At first I didn't even see any blood but as soon as I looked I knew she'd need at least a stitch. Luckily she calmed down almost immediately and it didn't bleed much at all, so we quickly took Mark to the train, Sawyer to school, and went to urgent care only to be told it was not yet open. Rather than go to the emergency room, we went home and watched Tinkerbell, and I took my work call. Isla was totally content and quiet watching her movie and was then ready to go once urgent care was open....and our girl is a great patient. Sawyer would have been freaking out, but Isla was totally still while they cleaned her hair and the gash, while the doctor checked her over, and even liked it when they weighed her and checked her blood pressure. Because the doctor wasn't sure if she needed one or two staples till he started he recommended foregoing the four shots to numb the area, and just let him quickly do the staples. She did well with the first, but poor girl wasn't happy after the second. She did great though and only cried a few minutes. A few times throughout the day she'd tell me her head hurt but since then it's like she forgot she ever hurt herself.
I was glad when our girl was given the all clear and things look great since - no sign of infection or issues, so assuming that continues we'll go out and have the staples removed in a week. She became my partner for the rest of the day - we hurried to pre-school registration, ate lunch in the car, and headed downtown for my appointment. She was extremely well behaved at the doctors but did want to be carried most of the way from the car to the office. As I told the nurse when she first took my blood pressure, I am still out of breath just from carrying her a few blocks. Fingers crossed that blood pressure is back to normal next week because I normally deal far better with stress than I did that day.
So we were looking to have a better day on Saturday. We had gotten tickets for the Elmo Show, similar to what we went to last year, and are so glad that we did. We did have another mishap on the way in - Isla fell in the parking lot and bumped her forehead and got some road rash on the nose, so girl has taken a serious beating this weekend, but she recovered and I think had the best time of any of us at the show. I don't know if she's just at the perfect age, or likes the characters more than Sawyer does, but she was the first to clap at every song, and sang along to the few she knew, bopped to the music, waved, and just had a general look of wonder that was fun to watch. Sawyer did too to a lesser extent, so all in all it was a nice little change of pace. Though both were tired, my efforts to get a nap out of them didn't work. This is something I'm going to have to work on because Isla is not ready to give up her nap. She had a pretty big meltdown because I wouldn't let her do something - I can't even remember what - and ended up falling asleep on me until I laid her down here...
If only it was a once in awhile thing. Nope, this is her today. She was watching Elmo on Mark's phone and we found her asleep on the chair. After trying to wake her up for dinner and being met with utter confusion, exhaustion and refusal to wake up, I carried her up to bed where's she's been the last three hours. We're hoping to get a full night sleep out of her...fingers crossed.
On the other hand, Sawyer has pretty much outgrown her nap. She still sometimes does an hour or so at daycare, and sometimes at home too, but generally is fine staying up. She was quite content just playing on the iPad instead of napping.
Which brings me to today. Today was a nice day in Chicago, and a nice day at our house. We had already finished up the weekend laundry, and gotten the basement back organized and out of our dining room, so the house felt like it was getting back to normal. Add some light cleaning, yard work for Mark, and errands in warm weather and we were pretty happy. There was even some good amount of time spent sitting on the patio while the girls played in the back yard which was a nice preview of what's to come. Probably best of all in the kids' minds was that they got a treat from the ice cream truck. I envision we'll have many of these treats this summer as these girls were digging it.
And now another weekend ticked off. We're officially less than three weeks away from meeting our girl, and getting excited but still hoping she stays put for a bit longer. Her room is really coming together so we'll have to post pictures of that soon.
Before I sign off, I'll leave you with two more pictures. Isla is pretty obsessed with her vest coat these days and wears it a lot. We decided to get a few shots for posterity because it's almost become as attached to her as Curious George and her "cowie" blanket. Here she is swimming while Mark holds her.
And doing up so high, which always puts a smile on her face.

No comments:
Post a Comment