Monday, May 20, 2013

Life is Complicated

So I'm sitting at the kitchen table on a conference call for work (one of my last) - with the phone muted, while the girls play in the playroom together - they finished up daycare on Friday, with workers upstairs - and no water on for the next hour while they work, and decided what better time is there to update the blog.  This is just one example of how complicated life has gotten around here lately.  My mom asked me the other day if we need anything for the baby, and to be honest, this baby coming feels like the most normal thing going on around here right now.  Maybe because it's our third, and another girl, I don't have this feeling of the unknown - we have diapers, clothes, binkys...all the things we really need.

Since my last post, I should note that Isla's head is healed up and I'm not even sure she truly remembers it...except when I remind her that she hurt her head because she's doing some sort of other crazy acrobatic or climbing move that feels a bit on the dangerous side.  We left daycare early on Monday to head to our pediatrician and get the staples out. She did a great job - she's a far better patient than Sawyer would be I think.  She laid on her stomach while a nurse held her head down, i held her arms down, and the doctor held her back and cut.  She didn't cry and it was done perfectly.  Sawyer took a quick picture while we were waiting...George accompanies her pretty much everywhere.
Oddly enough, within about 24 hours Isla spiked a crazy little fever.  She woke up at  midnight and her temp was around 103/104.  I initially didn't think it was so bad but when she sleeps with me she has to touch me and I felt like I was sleeping on a too hot heating pad.  Needless to say, after some motrin and three hours of giving her a wash cloth wipe down while she laid in bed with me we both fell asleep and her fever was broken.  Of course we woke up and couldn't send her to daycare, so instead we dropped Sawyer and Mark off and she and I spent the day together.  I have to say working with a kid at home can be very hard, so I usually end up doing a lot in the evening after they all go to bed to make sure I get what I need to finished.  And people ask me why I often have to work from 8p - 11p....now you know why.

Isla recovered and went back to school for her last week, though I noticed both girls were struggling big time with allergies.  The pollen count is high here in Chicago right now with the crazy back and forth weather we've had here, and while both girls are on allergy medicine each day we still have very runny noses, swollen eyes, and lots of sneezing.  Surprising to me was that Sawyer was the one getting it the worst, which was different than last year.  Well as you might guess it only got worse and culminated in the start of one of the craziest days - Friday - that we've had in a long while.  When I picked Sawyer up from school Thursday I noticed she had some red bumps on her face.  I asked her teacher but they hadn't really noticed but was clearly the start of a rash.  Fast forward to Friday morning and the rash hadn't gone away.  In addition to the runny/bloody nose we've been unable to stop she had red dots on her face.  I brought her to daycare because she was so upset she'd miss her last day but with the intent that I would pick her up early and take her to the pediatrician to see what the heck that was.

So I knew starting Friday it was going to be a busy day.  On the construction front, we had our contractors coming to do a lot of finishing type work and we were expecting the stone delivery of our countertop and bath top.  Because of the finishing work there's always questions so I was up and down the stairs talking to the guys about fixtures, etc. During those trips, the guys clicked the garage door opener and wouldn't you know the big coil broke and the door was no longer operational.  So I was quickly on the phone to see about getting someone out to fix that, and was successful in getting someone scheduled for Saturday, scheduling Sawyer's pediatrician appt, but then was quickly off to go downtown for my weekly dr appt.  Mark and I met for a quick bite to eat but just before I got a call from daycare that Sawyer was being quarantined because her rash was worse.  Super.  I needed to get there fast to get her, but still had my dr's appt, and was at least a 45 min drive away.

Wouldn't you know, we ended up waiting 45 min for my dr, and my blood pressure was back up.  It's fascinating for me to see because I think I handle stress really well, but clearly I'm reaching my limit.  Mark had come with me and was leaving work early that day so we quickly got back to the car and went immediately to day care, picked up both girls with all of their stuff (because it was their last day) and ran off to the pediatrician, arriving just 5 minutes late for our appt.  Turns out our girl is having an extreme allergic reaction likely to pollen and dust in our house from construction and complicated a little by excema so we added a few medicines and lots of lotion and are hoping it gets better in few days.  Looks like we are headed in right direction as this morning she looked better.  But no time to waste, we had some prescriptions to fill and then time to head back and talk to contractors.  Wouldn't you know the stone for our countertop was cut incorrectly - so our choice was to accept it as is and it might look poorly or delay our project a bit.  We are a bit delayed but after some complaining should be getting what we need tomorrow.  We'll see if they follow through with their promise - otherwise they'll be getting another call from me.  Right now it looks like bathroom will be totally done on Wednesday, but at this point I'm skeptical.  Needless to say, I haven't even listed everything that came up on Friday, and as a result Mark and I were both happy to have it end.

Saturday and Sunday were far better.  We did a lot of cleaning to get the dust out of the house and our bedroom, as we're going to start sleeping back in there tonight.  After today, the bathtub should no longer be sitting in front of the window which will be a nice surprise.  Grandma and Grandpa will at least have a place to sleep when they arrive on Wednesday, and hopefully we'll have two bathrooms upstairs vs. having to share one.  The girls have been struggling with their behavior.  Sawyer has gotten quite demanding, bossy, and even rude so I envision some bumps in our road together this summer, but also think perhaps it will be good to have her realize she has to answer to me this summer and she is not in charge.  Isla has started to pick up on some of her bad habits, including yelling at me, hitting, and whining so we've got our work cut out for us.  However, as I sit here they are playing really nicely together with the memory game, laughing away.  Seems when they're good, they're great but when they're bad, they're really bad - there is no in between!

And with that my call is over and it's time to get back with them.  Cross your fingers this babe stays put for 48 more hours until Grandma comes to rule the roost.  I'll leave you with two pictures - Sawyer broke out her running clothes and ran around the block with Mark this weekend.  She loved it, and almost ran the whole way which is great.  We are going to be running/walking partners this summer I think.
 And Isla just wanted to get into the posing...

No comments: