My apologies to anyone looking for a blog update the last few days - I just haven't been feeling it. Things continue to be busy both at work and at home which I guess is a good thing because it makes time fly. We are still trying to figure out when Baby #2 is going to grace us with her presence, which I guess could be any time now, but I think we likely have at least a week if not longer to go before anything happens. Besides - we aren't ready yet! I need to go buy some diapers, pacifiers, new sheets, and some other random things before I really feel ready. Forget putting the car seat in the car or packing a bag for the hospital - hadn't considered them until now.
The one big thing that we accomplished this past weekend was moving our big girl into her new room, and getting her into her big girl bed. The furniture we ordered for Sawyer's room came in early, and so Mark hurried to paint the bright blue room a nice shade of lavender. I had purchased all the bed linens a few weeks ago and am extremely happy with how the room turned out. What you can't see is the tall dresser at the foot of the bed on the right, and I haven't yet bought the green drapes I found for the window. Might sound like a strange color, but I think it's going to look fab.
Bunch of people warned me that the transition might be difficult from crib to bed. They underestimated our stubborn, precocious little child who believes she can do anything. She insisted on sleeping in her new bed that very night and has wanted nothing to do with the crib since. The first night wasn't the best - she woke up at around 4:45am for the day which wasn't super. The second night she slept 12 hours without a peep. Every now and then she loses her brown blankie or can't get her covers on right and cries till we come in, but for the most part she likes it. She can crawl out, but has only done it at nap time, never at night or in the morning. As for me, I think it makes bedtime more fun because I crawl in bed next to her to read & sing.
Sawyer helped me move her clothes from the baby's room to her new room, and now for some reaon has taken on a larger role in picking out her daily outfits. Every night she selects the appropriate pajamas to wear to bed, and has started more on her daily outfits too. Today she selected the red pants, denied the three shirt options I provided, and finally settled on the dress as an acceptable choice. This is just one example of her continuing to exert her independence. She says "I do it" all the time, insisting on getting her cereal, helping to make dinner, putting on her coat, opening doors, etc. If Mark and I try to do something like open the door for her, she will close it, tell us that she'll do it, and then reopen the door for us all to leave. If we ignore her, she will throw a huge fit. I've found it's just easier to let her show us what she can "do" to avoid the drama.
So that's our girl's big news. As Mark indicated, he left town pretty early Saturday to head to West Virginia for marathon #13 and did an amazing job. Gone less than 48 hours he drove about 8 hours each way, and ran the marathon in between. That left Sawyer and I on our own for most of Saturday and Sunday. She and I took a trip into the city for a friend's baby shower. Surprisingly she wasn't too bad, though taking the train with her at 37 weeks pregnant was harder than I thought - she was past her nap on the way home, tired and cranky on the train, and as soon as we got off wanted to be carried and fell asleep in my arms. The 1/4+ mile walk home with her in my arms left me pretty drained to say the least so the rest of Saturday and Sunday we pretty much just relaxed. The perils of having only one car I guess...
No comments:
Post a Comment