Sunday, November 21, 2010

Indian Summer

Today feels like an Indian Summer day to me - maybe not quite "summer" but a great fall day.  I think it's almost 60 degrees out and meant that Sawyer was outside kicking her soccer ball with her dad, and picking up a bunch of fallen branches and twigs from all the recent wind to use in our winter fires.  No hats, no gloves, just comfortable.  I like it and am looking forward to the even warmer temps tomorrow.  I may even have to work on the deck tomorrow just to enjoy the weather. 

So as I'm sure you've guessed the baby has not yet come, but today I'm feeling ok about that.  Yesterday I was feeling tired, but today I'm feeling good and highly productive.  Maybe this is what they mean when they say nesting, I have no idea, but I go in spurts like this whether I'm pregnant or not.  The positive result is things get done and my life gets organized.  We started the weekend off pretty slow finishing off a long, busy week of work.  Prior to picking up the pizza for dinner, and her dad from the train, Sawyer managed to find her dad's stash of leftover Halloween Nerds.  She loves them.  Not really a good pre-dinner snack, but hey, I was making her eat later than usual, so I went with it and she provided me with a lot of entertainment eating them.
Saturday, while productive, was tiring.  Sawyer woke up at 5am with some seriously itchy skin and so the day started early. We did manage to get our girl her winter coat in anticipation of the cold weather and some time out in the snow.  Finally she doesn't have to play in just the super small deck off the front of our condo!  Lucked out that the store had a sale making me feel less guilty buying the more expensive super cute white puffy down coat I'd been eyeing rather than some all pink-pepto bismol looking thing.  Must everything be pink people? 
What started as some itchiness in the morning turned into a full body rash by mid day.  Meant that Sawyer didn't nap well either.  She woke up after a short nap, and since I was taking a snooze myself, Mark brought Sawyer down to the couch with him.  When I came downstairs this is what I found - our girl sleeping peacefully with her Dad.  After about an hour and a half he rolled out from under her, and she curled right up on the couch herself for another hour.  So precious sometimes.
Still not really sure what the cause of the rash was/is.  I gave her a baking soda bath last night followed by cortisone and some serious quantities of aquaphor before bed and she woke up with it almost all gone.  Still has a bit on her cheek and her seemingly always chapped hands, but thankfully she slept 12 hours straight without a peep and has been good all day today.  She keeps following Mark and I around helping with whatever the current project is - so she picked up twigs and sticks, helped Mark clean out the fireplace, cleaned the playroom, vacuumed, washed baby bottles, filled the laundry baskets and put the clothes in the washing machine, and even carried her dirty diaper trash bag into the hallway.  Perhaps that is why she went to her nap so easily today?  Hard labor...haha.
She's also spent a good amount of time playing with baby toys today, mostly laying on the baby playmat we brought out and turning the music/lights on.  She's also tried to open a pack of pacifiers and asked for her milk in a bottle today, so it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

We snapped a few pictures today because Sawyer is rocking her new hand-knit sweater from Aunt Sue.  She LOVES the color - purple is her new fave since it matches her room, and she looks really cute in it.  She even agreed to wear a bib at lunch so we didn't get it dirty, which is an amazing feat in and of itself.  Thank you Sue (fits perfectly) - I hope we weren't supposed to save this for Xmas - we want to get as much use out of it as we can.  Can't wait to test out the booties on the babe as well.
Finally, we made two very exciting purchases today.  Mark went out and bought some firewood so we can take advantage of finally having a wood burning fireplace!  Knowing how much he loves fires we'll probably run out of wood quickly - he's already stocked the fireplace in anticipation of the weather turning cold again.  Second, and the most exciting thing for me, is that today we ordered our furniture for the kitchen and family room.  Yes, we have things there now, but while our condo furniture worked well in the limited space we had it is all wrong for our current house, and towards the end of its life cycle anyway.  We have about 2-3 months before delivery so in the meantime, we'll have both rooms painted to coordinate with our plans.  It was a little overwhelming pulling the trigger but I get so excited thinking about it!

With that, we'll head back on baby watch and keep you posted.  One last picture to enjoy - I don't know if Sawyer just watches her Dad like a hawk, or they are the same person, but I have gotten this exact same look from Mark many a time.

No comments: